Thursday 23 July 2009

Bad Things and Good Knitters

Earlier this year I bought a copy of When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide. Written by two New Yorkers with over 100 years of knitting experience between them this little book is a real gem. It's packed with good advice and tips and not just for when things go wrong e.g. the way you insert your needle when decreasing determines the way the decrease will slant so no more struggling to remember whether to knit in the front or the back of a stitch to make it slant to the right or left. It's really helpful for decoding pattern instructions particularly where the pattern assumes you know what to do and you don't!

The chapter on finishing off is brilliant. I followed their instructions when joining up Mark's jumper. I was really pleased how the shoulder, side and sleeve seams turned out. From the public side it looks like a knitted stitch rather than the groove I normally get. I didn't get such a good finish with the sleeve insertion but that wasn't the fault of the authors. The stepped cast off at the top of the sleeve didn't fit well with the straight edge of the arm hole so I struggled to make if fit and therefore couldn't follow their instructions easily.

I keep this brilliant little book in my project bag and I thoroughly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment