Thursday 16 July 2009

War on Duck Weed

Mark and I have been working to recover a couple of ponds in North Dorset. Today I have been removing duck weed from the largest pond using a large net on a long pole. No sooner than I had scooped some out than the gap was immediately refilled. It was as if the remaiing weed breathed a sigh of relief, said 'good, more room for me' and spread out to fill the vacant space!

After several hours of hard graft it was somewhat demoralising that there was still no clear water. But is was satisfying to see the mounds of weed on the banks and to realise that I wasn't going mad I actually had removed a lot of weed. By the time we called it a day I think that I could see some chinks of clear water appearing. I hope that it doesn't completely grow back before battle resumes next week.

Along with the weed I also scooped up some beautiful duck feathers which were floating on top of the weed. There were a number of them which made me suspect that the owner didn't give them up willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment